- This event has passed.
NRG MONTHLY MEETING SATURDAY 19th August 2017
August 19 @ 1:00 pm - 3:00 pm
I can only assume that the “demand” for free food was someone’s attempt at humour, but it didn’t go over well. I phoned Peter and grovelled a lot so it’s all good now, but they want us to discuss an earlier start time for our meetings. I will put in on the agenda for next meeting which will be 1 to 3 PM as usual on Saturday 19th August.
I assured Peter that we all appreciate their support and generosity and do NOT take the free scones for granted.
much love to all,
15 July Minutes Northern Rivers Guardians (NRG) Meeting
Date: Saturday 15th July 2017
At Mavis’ kitchen, Mt. Warning Road, near Uki
Meeting to started at 1pm. Sledge to Chaired and Acknowledged the Traditional Custodians.
Present: Sledge, Bernadine, Joyce, Geoff, Andrew, Dave, Dee, Christine, Alexis, Gwyn, Marian, Bill West, Cas, Richard
Apologies: Suzanne, Rainer, Lori, Lyn and Daniele
Minutes from 10th June 2017 Meeting: approved .
1. What are we doing? How can we be most effective? : Alexis’ report
discussed ways to get the younger generation more active in local environmental issues and become members of NRG. Christine is involved with early childhood teaching and will look into ways to get the very young active. Bernadine will investigate universities and TAFEs in our area by approaching student bodies etc. Andrew has a friend who writes for the Tweed Valley Weekly and will propose NRG doing a regular column concerning environmental issues in the area. Dee has generously offered to coordinate this column if it eventuates. NRG members can submit writing for the column . Bernadine will also look into boomerang bags and maybe making bags with an NRG logo to help promote us and especially replace plastic bags now being phased out by Woolies and Coles. Can we organise a music event or art competition?
2. Tweed Koalas: Dave
Leda Holdings have asked for changes to the ‘Koala Protection clause’ for Kings Forest estate. These include reducing the reserve corridor from 100 metres to 50 metres and reducing the number of primary food trees that are essential to koalas. An article in The Tweed Daily News July 8th has further information on this proposal. The TSC Koala committee only just received the paperwork and Marion Riordan has written some ideas for submissions are due by 28th July so please try and put a stop to this greed and file a submission (which will be accepted for 2 weeks after closing date.). We should be protecting our Commonwealth Games mascot and maybe use this as an argument.
3. TS Council watch: Sledge- dams, water management and aquifers-
Sledge has been away so nothing to report .
4. Pressure TSC to divest from fossil fuels- Greg Reid
Deferred till next meeting
5. Update: protect North Byron Parkland festival venue: Dee/ Christine
This weekend is ‘Splendour in the Grass’ with an estimated 32,500 attending. Dee and Christine will take this golden opportunity to film and take photos as evidence of the mayhem that these events cause. The NSW police force are against this venue being allowed to become bigger.
6. Uki water mining: Sledge
Deferred till next meeting
Treasurer’s Report: General account = $2,833.26
Outstanding Cheque for $110 for NCC membership
Legal account: $1,740.57
Petty Cash: $100
Moved: Geoff . Cas seconded . Approved.
Sledge said that the Federal govt is promoting the use of fossil fuels and cadging on support for clean energy targets. Our best hope is for the states and cities to progress towards reducing climate change pollution without the Feds. The same is happening in the USA where Trump is in charge.
1. Plans have been submitted to build a Coles Express petrol station on The Tweed Valley Way roundabout, across from the Murwillumbah Tourism Centre. Any objections have to be submitted only by residents near the site and attend a meeting on 1st and 2nd August at 9:30 at the proposed site ahead of a Land and Enviro Court hearing at the Mur’bah Court House. The meeting authorised Andrew to speak for NRG.
2. Gold Coast Airport: Katie Milne and other councillors would like a report done on the runway extentions. NRG will organise a letterbox drop to get out the brochure of the Greens. More information next meeting.
3. TSC meetings and praying: Andrew will contact the councillors and discuss the validity of a Christian prayer before meetings.
4. Certificates of appreciation: Bernadine will give these certificates to our generous raffle donors.
Letters to / from Politicians
Email to Federal party leaders: stop Adani / save the reef
Anybody who is concerned about young people with MS having to live in aged care this link below is a petition to get the government on board with this sad situation.
Next Meeting 1 to 3 PM Saturday 19th August 2017 at Mavis’s kitchen, near Uki