NRG MONTHLY MEETING SATURDAY 21st October 2017
October 21 @ 12:00 pm - 2:00 pm
Northern Rivers Guardians (NRG) Will Meet
Date: Saturday 21st October 2017
At Mavis’ kitchen, Mt. Warning Road, near Uki
Meeting starts at 12.00pm to 2.00pm
Northern Rivers Guardians (NRG) Meeting Minutes
Date: Saturday 16th September 2017
At Mavis’ Kitchen, Mt. Warning Road, near Uki
Meeting commenced at noon. Sledge in Chair : acknowledged Traditional Custodians.
Present: Sledge, Richard, Joyce, Geoff, Rainer, Dee, Bill Fenelon, Daniele, Gwyn, Bill West , Wayne, Hazel, Susie, Reenie (visitor), Menkit, Liffy, Alexis
Apologies: Suzanne, Lyn , Lori, Cas, Marie Jack, Dave, Marian, Sharon, Christine Bush, Bernadine, Jennie Chilcott.
New Members: Jimmy Malecki, NCEC Secretary from Bungawalbin. Approved
ACTION:Daniele, Rainer and Alexis sub-com’tee for getting >2000+ FB followers to apply for mem’ship / pay annual fees.
Minutes from 19 August 2017 Meeting: Approved. Alexis volunteered to take notes today.
Business Arising: 1. How can we be most effective? Dee/ Christine/ Bernadine:
NGT has agreed to a monthly NRG column due last Wedn each month.
DEE to contact TV Weekly for a column submitted by Dee for NRG members.
Bernadine to follow up Greenleaf bags, prices etc. NRG committee authorised to order bags prior the next meeting. Christine: pre-school associations , input into environment books: continue investigations.
2. Tweed Koalas – Dave/ Sledge:
Dave : impact of new legislation on our wildlife. Christine will approach local early childhood centres to participate, our local koalas. Action? Sledge will write to TSC congratulating them on behalf of NRG for applying good principles (Dave will confirm this outcome prior to Sledge’s letter.)
Good news: Provest & Milne announced the state govt has purchased 100 Ha land to connect koala corridor Black Rocks to Koala Beach.
3. Tweed Council watch: Water management and aquifers – Sledge/ Gwyn: The Tweed Water Alliance is active . A proposal for turning circle on Rowlands Creek Road will go before TSC soon. Go to 350.0rg web page for details : subs due end of September: concentrate on road safety issues.
Gwyn met new Postmaster for UKI (named Gary) he is opposed to water mining.
TSC meetings and prayer – Dave: The people present staff or gallery do not have to stand for prayer
Big Win for Limpinwood: Thursday 7th September TSC voted unanimously (Pryce Allsop absent) to ask NSW govt to stop work on the logging of Hewittville property off Boorman’s Road. They endorsed Mayor Milne’s call for authority to be delegated to Council to enforce compliance!
Tweed River Management – Bill Fenelon : no committee meeting this month: no news on artificial reef : protecting Hastings Point : Aquaman film. Q. Who authorised the closure of public lands? A. TSC : only Katie voted against.
4. Pressure TSC to divest from fossil fuels: Greg Reid – deferred
5. Update : protect North Byron Parkland festival venue – Dee: 20-month extension of the trial period granted , despite good presentations to govt panel.
6. Uki Water Mining: Sledge : Tweed Water Alliance meeting at Uki Hall Saturday 19th August.
Good articles in NGT, especially by Bernadine. Dawn Walker (Greens MLC) on side.
7. Coles Express petrol station on the Tweed Valley Way: Dave : Coles Express approved by Lands and Enviro Court despite opposition from Council and staff.
8. Gold Coast Airport – NRG to assist letterbox drop of Greens brochure . Deferred
Treasurer’s Report: $175 paid (half of $350 total) for aerial photography of Limpinwood logging. Approved by c’tee. No objections.
General account: $2,723.26 (minus $175, plus $10 mem’ship and $10 donation) = $2568 balance
Legal account: $1,740.57 Petty cash: $100
Moved by Geoff, Seconded by: Daniele. All In Favour.
Last meeting resolved we donate $100 to crowdfunded Film “Sacrifice Zone” by David Lowe about the CSG threat to North West NSW.
Action : Geoff to write cheque today and Daniele to contact David
Shares in Downer to stop Adani? – Rainer/ Sledge
The Downer Corporation will be constructing the Adani mine if approved. Stop Adani said they have enough people already who bought shares to promote a resolution at AGM not to accept Adani contracts. NRG did not proceed saving $500 cost. Nat’l Day of action Lismore on 7th October
President’s Report: Sledge
1. New land clearing laws; The NSW govt Biodiversity Conservation Act came into force on 25th August. WE have fears that the protections won’t be adequate and most landowners will self-assess.
2. Limpinwood update : TSC officers Vince Connell, Lindsay McGavin and Scott Hetherington visited the Hewittville property this week and were reported to be unhappy with the scale of works and failure to look after the environment. Council will act if delegated authority by NSW govt.
ACTION : A) Ask people to write to Premier Gladys Berejykllian and Environment Minister Gabrielle Upton with a copty to opposition Leader Luke Foley.
B) Sledge to write to NSW Env Minister Gabrielle Upton and other politicians support for TSC and Mayor Milne’s request to have authority delegated.
C) request for funds to reimburse Menkit for flyers $15 and $30 for maps of the area around Hewittville property. Moved Sledge: seconded Liffy: approved AIF .
D) Menkit , Gwyn and any others who want can meet at Uki markets tomorrow to hand out flyers and collect donations for the Limpinwood campaign on behalf of NRG.
E) blockade: will be deferred pending response from politicians.
F) ACTION: meeting agreed to meet outside Geoff Provest’s office on Thursday 21st September at 2 PM to demonstrate public concern to get the logging / unauthorised road building stopped. Please wear yellow & black and bring signs if possible. Some may want to attend a TSC meeting that day with public access starting at 4:30 at the Tweed Heads Council chambers on Brett Street (not M’bah)
G) Susie will get copies of the aerial and drone photos to TSC and NEFA for mapping and analysis.
H) On-line petition: sub-com of Sledge Rainer, Susie to look into this.
I) Reenie is happy for company at her place on Boorman’s Road– Camping available. Good water . Phone her on 0402 141 998.
3. Media policy : all text to go out to media should be reviewed by the NRG com’tee. Anything to do with Limpwood should go first to Susie and Reenie for checking. If quoting someone, make sure they agree. Check facts.
4. September edition of Nimbin Good Times : good articles by Bernadine, Bill West and Sledge and a letter by Beth Shelley.
1. NRG stall at local markets – Bernadine:
To purchase a white board to take to markets and take flyers, forms and the bags when available
2. New Facebook site: Limpinwood Logging Non-Violent Direct Action Group
4. Will we support a Rally for the Rail in mid November? – ACTION: Sledge to reply yes
To Northern Rivers Railway Action Group Inc. (NRRAG) 0422 007 724
5. DVDs of The Bentley Effect film may soon be available.
6. Nat’l Day of action Lismore and maybe Tweed coast on 7th October
Letters to/from Politicians:
1. Email to MPs, Gabrielle Upton NSW Environment Minister re Limpinwood logging:
2. Email to Federal party leaders: stop Adani – save the reef: Still no response from Federal party leaders regarding protection of Adani : propose pressure on Justine Elliot (ALP)
3. Greens MLC Dawn Walker wrote (13/9/17) “ Congratulations on your success action regarding the Limpwood clearing. I have lodged your request as a Question on Notice in Parliament today. I’ll forward on the Minister’s answer when it is received by my Office.”
1. Tweed Greens are forming a working group to oppose the rail trail and promote trains.
2. Spring into Pillaga weekend 10 to 12 November at Pillaga Pottery. bus available $120, Lisa Costello
3. Doubtful Creek reunion weekend: 22 to 24 September at 552 Iron Pot Road rsvp Peter 66339065
4. NRRAG – Public Transport Forum Monday 25 September at M’bah community centre 6 to 9 PM Northern Rivers Railway Action Group has a petition through change.org which is on our Face Book page. We ask that our community speak out by signing and sharing this petition. If anyone would like to help with film screenings or meetings in their local area, email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
5. Sustainable Alley at Nimbin’s Annual Show 23 &24 September. NRG members will help with the NEC stall there.
Meeting closed at 2:10pm.
Saturday 21st October 2017 noon to 2 PM at Mavis’s kitchen Mount Warning Road, near Uki