Loading Events

« All Events

  • This event has passed.

NRG MONTHLY MEETING THIS SATURDAY March 18th 2017

March 18 @ 1:00 pm - 3:00 pm

Event Navigation

Dear NR Guardians

Hi NRG people,
We meet this Saturday at Mavis. Kitchen 1 to 3 PM.Pls check these Minutes from the February meeting .Get corrections, agenda items and apologies (oh no!) to Sledge by Saturday morning.
all the best

Minutes – NRG meeting, Saturday 18th February 2017 at Mavis’s Kitchen,
Mt Warning, near Uki.

Meeting started at 1pm, Sledge chaired and acknowledged the Traditional Custodians.

Present: Sledge, Bernadine, Daniele, Wayne, Andrew, Liffy, Bill West, Sharon, Rainer, Joyce, Geoff, Cas, Alexis, Lori, Menkit and three new members Marg, Denise, and Christine
Apologies: Suzanne, Lyn and Dave, Stuart James, Hazel and Bill Fenellon.
Minutes from 21st January 2017 Meeting: All in favour
New member approvals: Margie Heggie, Denise “Dee” Nessel and Christine Bush
Our three new members have joined our organisation in the hope that we can assist and advise on what action to take concerning the North Byron Parkland site. The management rights have been sold to an American corporation called LiveNation and their plans are to make it a location for international acts all year round which will have a huge impact on the area. They live in the Byron Shire and are alarmed about these future plans which propose to extend the site as far as Wooyung as well as many more tourists to these venues. Livenation are aiming for monthly performances and their target for attendance is 50,000! We advised our new members to use Facebook, petitions, send submissions to Byron Shire Council etc and we will discuss at our next meeting ways in which NRG can help.
Business Arising:
1. TS Council watch: Liffy, Menkit and Andrew.
TSC voted unanimously for the approval of the raising of Clarrie Hall Dam. Ron Cooper even made mention of a possible dam at Byrrill Creek also a proposal to have a community reference group to manage water including efficiency. There would be 5 people nominated to represent the community.
2. Meeting with Reece re water extraction: Sledge/ Menkit
Sledge, Menkit and Lori said that Reece failed to show any real knowledge about this issue and he didn’t instill confidence.Said he wants to set new enviro guidelines based on studies by NSW Office of Water. Please take the time to email Justine Elliot or go on Facebook and voice your opinion.
3. Landscaping at Chinderah roadhouse.
The meaning behind the brown rocks at the roundabout is they supposedly look like the rocks at Fingal Headland.
4. Pressure TSC to divest from CSG and fossil fuels. Katie Milne will fully support this move and the council of Urabadellah is moving in this direction.
5. NSW govt changes to land clearing laws.
There will be a community meeting at Ballina on the 2nd March. North Coast Conservation Council(ask for Cerin) are taking submissions that can be downloaded on their site. Norma at the new Premiers’parliamentary office sympathetic
6. Kings Forest roadhouse and shops at Cudgen Creek
Still nothing positive with this variation other than having a curfew of 10pm to minimise the noise to the nearby koala population.
7. Pottsville Koalas: Menkit: a request for NRG to authorise advert in TVW/ strategies 26th February
Reece is now in support of the Men’s Shed and there is 3 more weeks till this is voted on -16th March. The Crown Lands Department have said they will bend over backwards to provide an alternative and suitable site for the Pottsville Men’s Shed (President = Michael Ryan). 8 koalas have died in the last 3 years and we cannot afford to lose any more!
ACTION: Sledge will write to Justine Elliot.
8. NRG endorsements for koala advisory Committee (Dave Norris said he has been accepted) and Tweed River Management Committee ( Bill Fenelon) Bill Fenelon was absent so no news.

Dave and Lyn have spent a lot of time and money advertising and campaigning to help the Pottsville koalas. Motion that NRG should donate money and discuss what to contribute to Dave and Lyn. Moved Bill, 2nd Geoff. AIF
A cavalcade is planned at Pottsville for the 26th February at 10am. This has been organised by the 28 members of the P&D Men’s Shed to show support for the Black Rocks site.
9. ICAC response to request re 2009 car rally. Will not investigate.
The reply from ICAC was that the same situations were determined during the rally as in 2009.
10. Adani coal mine- Westpac? NAB have announced they will not fund Carmichael mine project. Federal gov’t favours “loan” of $1 B for coal rail line to Abbott Point export loader.
A planned protest will be happening on the 20th February at the Westpac Bank at Lismore.
Richard Deem’s Gasfield Free book: Sledge/Richard
Richard wasn’t present but his book is selling well. Some are still available at local environment centres for $30.
Rail transport options/ movie: Cas has found a free venue A movie will be screened at Jacob’s Bar Murwillumbah on the 13th March at 7pm discussion to follow. Admission is free.

Letters to Politicians:
1. Email to Geoff Provest MLA, no response and the Police Minister had not responded either.
2. Email to NSW Premier and Minister for Planning: Liverpool Plains no response.Couldn’t understand the email because it was all gobbledygook. So will look into it further.
3. Email to TSC re landscaping around new Roadhouse/ petrol station. Response: Katie Milne will address the revegetating of this area and will make a submission to the developers for extra funds to do this. We hope this can be achieved.
Treasurer’s Report:
Cheque Account: $2,989.26 incl Book sales of $195
Legal Account: $2,040.57
Petty Cash: $112.00 fundraising float: $100
Moved by Geoff. seconded Daniele all in favour
President’s Report:
1. Water Mining at Uki
An action group called Uki Water Alliance has been formed to oppose water mining in Uki. 180 people met at Uki to show their opposition to this proposal. There is no mapping or knowledge as to where our underground aquifers are located and the impact this mining could cause. If this water mining licence is approved it may very well set a dangerous precedent.
2. Logging near Nimbin
Very little information so far but residents have seen big trucks loaded with big old trees coming from Gungas Road.
3. Letter to NSW cabinet re – over policing in Nimbin: Sledge
No response as yet to this letter.
Sledge moved to give a donation of $200 to the EDO and seconded by Rainer. All in favour
New Business:
1. NRRAG – Feedback on possible uses of the rail corridor at Bangalow would be welcomed.
2. TSC is asking for submissions to it’s 10 Year Plan until 25th February. To view the Draft Community Strategic Plan and for more information on making a submission please visit
http://www.tweed.nsw.gov.au/OnExhibition.
Comment please and put in submissions.
3. North Byron Festival venue: Our new members will attend our meeting
in March with more information.
Announcements:
Sharon informed us of a possible Eco tourism resort being built next to Mt Warning. John Morganthal is applying to construct a resort that has been estimated to cost $29,000,000. ($30 M is required toapply for “state significance” and that could come next.
Next Meeting: Saturday 18th March 2017 Mavis’s Kitchen

Details

Date:
March 18
Time:
1:00 pm - 3:00 pm

Venue

Mavis’s Kitchen
Mount Warning Road