Environment under threat
This region now under threat has been recently included in The Federal Governments 'National Landscapes program' along with Kakadu, Uluru and other national iconic landscapes.
'The Green Cauldron', as it is now offically named, has the second (to Daintree) greatest biodiversity of any area in Australia. It is promoted to tourists as an environmentally sensitive "green" place. People live here because of these features. The proposed car rally is inconsistent with these moves to develop a thriving eco-tourism industry which will provide long-term sustainable growth and real employment.
If the car rally gets the green light it means:
• native animals will be at risk (interrupted breeding cycle, stress related death, hit by cars, etc)
• national parks will be used for racing at speeds in excess of 160 km/hr
• cars will speeding on gravel and dirt roads in the area
• roads will be closed in the area - affecting resident access
• dirt roads will be left as they are
• dangerous driving will increase placing local people and wildlife at risk
• secret back room deals will take precedence over local wishes
• the long term prospects for developing a sustainable eco-tourism industry will be placed at risk.
If you think it could not happen to you or your community then think again!!!
Download the BACKGROUND BRIEFING sent to all Members of the NSW Parliament